Monday, August 23, 2010

so, long post that is not from the phone. (a.k.a. yay quilt!!!!)

My frequent trips to various fabric stores have resulted in a big stash of, well fabric. I've completed some short projects to hone in on the quilting skills. I've made a scarf and a laptop case with a quilted top. So, now begins my first attempt at a full blown scarf. I'm thinking about a 50in x 60in quilt. It'll be about a lap cover size. 

So as you can see from my rudimentary drawings, I'm doing 5 different blocks are are 8x8.  There are going to be 6 rows of it.  
Now, let the the fabric cutting begin!!!!

I got some note cards labeled according to my "master plan" so I know exactly how many and how much of each kind of fabric to cut.  For example:

So this is the C block. There are three different kinds of fabric involved, numbered 1-3. You can't see on the note cards but they are labeled C1-C3.  You might wonder why C2 and C3 are cut into strips instead of squares as indicated.  Well, as I have learned recently, it is a pain in the butt to sew little squares together. So I will just sew the strips together, and then cut the sewn strips into the indicated sized squares. It is *much* easier. Trust me. 
I'm thinking about sashing the squares in a cream or very light grey color.  I have yet to decide. Sooooo.... for now, the fabrics have been cut, I will decide on the sashing and backing color soon, and onward we go with the assembly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment